Through 15 years of technical service experience with sewing machines and the packaging industry, I’ve found that proper preventative maintenance is the key to getting the maximum value out of your sewing head.
This schedule is specific to Fischbein equipment using Fischbein part numbers, but applies to all similar sewing heads:
- Clean and inspect entire system. Correct any air or oil leaks immediately.
- Clean photo eyes and reflectors.
- Clean looper shaft, feed dog seal and housing area under the throat plate. Lint from the thread and dust from packaging paper bags will cause seals to leak.
- Keep the bag trim chute area clear of trim.
- Inspect the sewing head drive belt to insure that it is tight and not slipping.
- Inspect the thread guides and tension discs to insure the thread is not dragging or wrapped around foreign objects:
- Check the tape reel to insure that it is rotating freely and aligned with the tape folder.
- Check the wax bar to make sure it is making contact with the tape. The wax lubricates the tape and needle.
- Check air pressures… minimum 90 to 100 PSI to the clipper, and 35 to 45 PSI to the clutch. Always maintain less than 50 PSI to the clutch.
- Check sewing head oil level. Fill line is with unit running. The ‘sight glass will be full when unit is not running. Capacity is one quart when changing the oil and filter.
- Remove and inspect the feed dog to ensure that the teeth are not worn.
- Replace the needle C-100S f.
- Inspect the looper 10060.
- Inspect 10174 needle guard for wear. Replace if necessary.
- Replace 10077 feed dog seal.
- Replace the looper shaft seal and gasket, part numbers 15104 and 15105.
- Inspect the tape clipper knives 10443 and 10446.
- Lubricate the infeed gearboxes. Use 85-140 gear oil
- Inspect all drive belts to the infeed and sewing head.
- Inspect the pedestal sprockets, chain, gearbox and casters. Apply a light lubricant to the chain and sprockets.
- Follow the monthly schedule as required.
- Inspect and replace air line tubing if necessary.
- Inspect the infeed drive belts P4229-120 and P2653.
- Inspect the infeed trimmer knives A2626 (2 required) A2681 for poly bags.
- Inspect the sewing head drive belt P4110.
- Replace the quick exhaust valves on the clutch / brake, part number 67198 (2 required).
- Remove the top housing and replace the following 1. Levers arm seal 31014. 2. Inspect the lever seal garter springs 10128 (2 required). 3. Bearing sheet clamp 10163 4. Presser foot lever guide 10161. 5. Presser foot pad cradle 10189. 6. Presser foot pad 10190. 7. Lubricate pad and cradle as well as lever guides with food grade grease. 8. Install top housing and reset presser foot spring tension.
- Replace the sewing head lubricating oil, part number 31080 for model 201, and part number 10200 for model 101.
- Replace the sewing head oil filter, part number 15054.
- Inspect the pulley and replace the main shaft seal 10035.
- Replace the feed dog 10486
- Inspect the presser foot 10484
- Inspect the throat plate 10485
If you have any tips to add for shrinking downtime or getting maximum value from a sewing machine, please share!